Thursday, June 28, 2007

Revenge is So Sweet! Mid Week Epistole by Jim Massey

REVENGE IS SO SWEET!

It is amazing how many people in this world today would love to have a bit of revenge. I know you have seen them, the people who feel anger when they are cut off by an individual driving down the freeway and nearly cause an accident. Or someone cutting in front of you in a parking place that you have tried to get to from the other side of the parking lot.

That happened once to a driver of a Rolls-Royce who was carefully backing into a parking space when a teenager in a snazzy sports car zipped in and stole the space.
Getting out of his car, the youth grinned and said: “You’ve got to be young and quick to be able to do that, Pops.”

The older gentleman smiled as he continued to back up his Rolls, crunching the tiny sports car into a total wreck. “And you have to be old and rich to be able to do that,” he retorted.

Can you imagine the look on the teenagers face and the tremendous feeling of satisfaction that came to the driver of the Rolls? Maybe that is what they mean by the cliché “Revenge is so sweet.”

Would you care to hear God’s way? Psalm 94:16-19: “Who rises up for me against the wicked? Who stands up for me against evildoers? If the Lord had not been my help, my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence. When I thought, ‘My foot is slipping,’ Your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up. When the cares of my heart are many, Your consolations cheer my soul.”

It is God who is allowed to gain the revenge, what we seek is His love.

O God, when I feel betrayed and alone, remind me of the cross. You overcame those feelings without revenge, but the power of love. Grace me in the same way, I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

This has been Rev. Jim Massey. One of my greatest loves is my wife and she is an only child. Next week, we will celebration the birth of our nation. May God gloriously guide it for His peace.

No comments: