Wednesday, January 11, 2006

"Losing Forums"

I found out today, the forum I post on 2nd to most often lately is going away. I am a little bummed. Because the one I post on most often is well, one I only really debate on. It is not a "personal" thing. And I hate to lose the group I post on a support board for Christians there. It is nice to talk with people who are walking in Christ shadow as you are.

The problem with being online so long, you keep "losing" people. First it was the BBS's. I really miss Auggie. I miss the people there. I miss the easy conversation, and talking about nothing. I miss a lot of those people who I feel had a real impact on my life and I miss them. I miss the goofy things they say and do. And how, even when I disagree with them....I miss the friendship. But Auggie, although it lasted longer then most....died with the BBS. People do not use telnet anymore. And the online forum's now are "easier".

Then there was Parentsplace. and the people who run the site there made a habit of "running people off". Not once, did great controversy...but several big events over several years, ran people off in large numbers. It is amazing to me that so many people still go there. But they too shall learn.

Now there is The Parents perspective and it is going away. It really I guess did not have a long term chance of lasting. It was privately funded. And the controversy there was constantly coming up again and again. But it is still sad to see it go.

I just know what happens when groups "change forums". You lose people. They go away and become part of the mass community. It is like when a neighbor moves across town. You may run into them now and then...but it is never the same again.

In some ways, I think this online relationship change situation has led to how I react to groups IRL now too. Again, part of that being online longer then some boards last.

I hope to keep in touch, but I know what will happen. The same thing that has happened before. People just fade from that situation.

Boy, I tell you. I have already been really "down" lately. This has not made my day/week/new year any better.