Friday, November 24, 2006

Mid Week Epistole by Jim Massey

Assurance of Thanksgiving Dinner Count
As Thanksgiving approaches, I have heard many people saying that their children are coming. They are not sure if all of them will get here on time, but perhaps in the next day or two afterward if the are not busy.
I once read a unique way of being sure of the dinner count.
An elderly man in Phoenix calls his son in New York and says, "I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing; 45 years of misery is enough."
"Pop, what are you talking about?" the son screams.
"We can't stand the sight of each other any longer," the old man says. "We're sick of each other, and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call your sister in Chicago and tell her." Then he hangs up.
Frantic, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone. "Like heck they're getting divorced," she shouts, "I'll take care of this." She calls Phoenix immediately, and screams at the old man, "You are NOT getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?"
The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. "Okay," he says, "They're coming for Thanksgiving and paying their own fares."
I am glad that God does not offer such an invitation to His dinners aren't you. He said, "Come unto me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." It is truly in the promise of the heavenly banquet that the price is paid by God and the invitation sealed by the death of His Son. What a Thanksgiving celebration that is.

Father, as our families and friends gather this Thanksgiving Day, let us truly offer thanks for the saving grace that comes from knowing Your Son Jesus Christ. It is in the Scriptures that we feast and celebrate the love that offers happiness to all. Let us be sure that the first thanks that we give as our families gather is the one that is for Your Holy Salvation Love. In the name of Jesus Christ we pray. Amen.

This has been Rev. Jim Massey. May you truly be blessed this Thanksgiving and join me next week for another Mid-week Epistle.

No comments: