Sunday, November 12, 2006

What Child Is This?

The other day in Wally World I heard my favorite Christmas Hymn. I wondered, boy...it is awful early. But ...is ever too early to celebrate the expectation of the Light? That is what Christmas is about to me...expecting the Light.

I wish it could be Christmas everyday...and it can be. If you and I make it so. If everyday, we wait and expect the Light of Jesus Christ to come into our lives and prepare a space for Him in our hearts. A manager for the tiny baby, and an opening for the man who died on the cross on a hill to save us from ourselves.

Last year, we sang this song for choir...this song about is this the Child who would bear the nails for me? Is this the tiny Child who would carry away my sin? How can such a small Child bear all the weight of the world? Every day, I have to ask...What Child is this?

What Child is this who, laid to rest
On Mary’s lap is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?
This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing;
Haste, haste, to bring Him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

Why lies He in such mean estate,
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christians, fear, for sinners here
The silent Word is pleading.
Nails, spear shall pierce Him through,
The cross be borne for me, for you.
Hail, hail the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

So bring Him incense, gold and myrrh,
Come peasant, king to own Him;
The King of kings salvation brings,
Let loving hearts enthrone Him.
Raise, raise a song on high,
The virgin sings her lullaby.
Joy, joy for Christ is born,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

No comments: