Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Dare to Be Drug Free

On Friday, my kids school is allowing students to wear halloween themed tshirts for drug free week. (yesterday it was bandanas, today it was sunglasses, tomorrow it is ...ok I forget tomorrow....thursday is red tshirts and friday is a halloween tshirt. My kids wear uniforms to school...and i have no problem with this...but what about the kids who may not own a halloween themed tshirt? They just do not get to wear anything special....I guess they could get thier free dress pass..which means they can wear jeans and a school tshirt...other then that you must wear the uniform. Our school has a lot of students whose parents are not well off--78% get free lunch and another 20-some % get reduced lunch. Let's face it...middle class parents have problems paying for all the "extra's".

On friday there is a carnival too. Parents buy tickets...and then thier kids use the tickets to buy food and play games. My youngest and I are going to go and join in..but I refuse to pay more then 20$ for my kids to eat and play games for that hour. I have already donated cokes (which the schooli s then gonna sell at the cost of 2 tickets or 50 cents per cup, candy for candy bags that every kid will get one of in the school, and I am baking two cakes...every kid gets a piece of cake....I do not thik they are charging for it...i could be wrong though.

It just strikes me as how unfair it is to the kids who may not be able to pay the 10$ to buy a spirit shirt...or to go out and buy halloween shirts that the kid will only wear probably 2 times. This friday and one day next week. by next year the kids grow out of them usually...well my kids fit from last year. But still. The school says the reasons they want the uniforms is because it takes away "class"...but by having these special days...does it really?

today was shades day...you wear shades to signify a stand against drugs. And i like the drug free type weeks. I actually think they are good things. But at the same time...I feel like some of the kids are being excluded...and most of them honestly...are the kids that need reached the most on the drug free type stuff. They are in situations that are more likely to actually see drugs. And I say that as that kid growing up. There just does not seem like a good solution.

No comments: