Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Do you Love Me? - by Jim Massey (mid week epistole)

Do You Love Me?

In the musical "Fiddler on the Roof", Tavia asked his wife Golda a very simple question: "Golda, do you love me?" The response of Golda recalls their life together: a marriage promised by the fathers in which they had no say; a life of almost poverty, children; and yet a home that was comfortable. Golda seems content with these things. Tavia, after these responses from Golda again asks: "But Golda, do you love me?"
Persistence in the questions of love should be vital to us today. Christ proved its worth when He encounters Peter after the Resurrection: "Peter, do you love me?"
I hear the Christ ask me the very same question over and over again, and I try to reply much as Peter did, "Lord, You know I love You." Then I hear God's challenge to take my life and make it completely His as I tend His flock called the church, and feel the lambs which are His children.
Do you hear Christ calling to you today? Is He asking, "Do you love me?" How do you answer?

Holy God, let us receive the wonderment of this question of life and make it ours. Do not let the words return to you empty and full of clichés and promises that we do not intend to keep, but let them be filled with the depths of a love that was willing to accept the Christ into our lives forever. In the blessed name of Christ we pray. Amen.

This has been Rev. Jim Massey. Join me next week when we find the danger of God being missing.

No comments: