Saturday, February 26, 2005

Something to be said for Traditions

One of the debate forums I frequent there has been ongoing debate on a girl who wanted to wear a tux for her senior picture. The school said she could not appear in the year book in a tux. The article wants it seem like she is being discriminated against because she is a lesbian. Regardless of her sexual orientation, What about traditions? Have we as a society seen so little good come from them, that we easily are willing to push them aside in favor of the wants of one person?

In the High school I went to this never would of been tolerated. Each year in this public high school, the graduating classes class composite is hung on the wall. The males in tux's and then women in robes. On the walls of the school hangs a picture from every year the school has been open. Even before it was the school it now stands as and was instead the school that this one evolved into. My high school was a public works project during the great depression. We are talking about 80 years of class composites with each persons formal picture for graduation. Even if you do not buy pictures, you have to go to a private place of the schools choosing to get your picture done for yearbook and this picture.

There is a compromise here. But this young women is unwilling to compromise. The school should be allowed to set how it wants the pictures done for the yearbook. However, this young women does not have to pose. She can refuse to be in the yearbook. She could have the drape done and then have her own private pictures done elsewhere. Or...how many places do not let you do multiple clothing changes for your senior setting? She could of only bought the pictures she wanted. But were any of those options considered?

The ruling is it is up to the principal of the school to decide.

In my life, the best parts of my life all revolve around tradition. Knowing that my picture hangs on the wall of the high school I graduated from. As well as my moms in the class of 1972. My Dad's in the class of 1966. My sisters, my cousins, my aunts and my uncles, even my grandmothers and her brothers and sisters. I have a sense of belonging from that. That I am part of something greater.

That has happened other times in my life too as I was able to partake in long standing traditions. I went to an all womens private college. One of the traditions there is the tradition of big sisters and little sisters. Big sisters (juniors) adopt 1 or more little sisters (freshman). They serve as a guide, friend, and advisor to the freshman. But part of the long standing tradition that goes with this is so much more. The 3rd night at college, the big sisters tuck thier little sisters into bed. The sophomores and the seniors wait outside in the pergola. And then the juniors go and wake thier "little sisters" up at 1 am. With all the "upper classman" wearing thier class beanie. We drag them out to the pergola. There we sing the nun song and our alma mata. We then cheer for our dorms and then drag them to the cafeteria (not really drag...by this time they are more then happy to be part of this long standing tradition) ..to serve them donuts and juice. To tell them about the traditions of the school. To answer questions they have. To introduce them to other people they may not yet know. To welcome them...and show them we are there to help them.

A few days later we give the freshman thier beanies at a big sister/little sister picnic. We teach them those songs. They will need them. After the picnic...any senior can show you her class ring (a special pinkie ring with a blue or black stone and an "H" on it) and the freshman around must sing the song of her choosing. Do freshman hate this? Do they feel tortured? No. You sing with pride...because you are part now of something bigger.

My freshman year....just days after we learned the songs. In the middle of the night some guy staying in the dorm walked out a fire door. At 2 am we stood in the quad waiting for the dorm to be checked out. It was a weekend and men were in the dorm. It was extremly uncomfortable for us, as freshman. We were not yet used to standing around in our bed clothes when men were in the dorm. One of the seniors came over and flashed her ring. At 2 am, we sang the nun song so loud we woke up people in every dorm. It is one of my very best memories of college. I look back at it with pride.

I did choose a college filled with tradition because traditions mean so much to me. I keep my own family traditions. I am part of a church with long standing traditions. I believe in tradition. I believe in belonging and taking pride in something that is bigger then just me. What a gift to be part of that.

And if you do not like traditions...you can always choose not to participate rather then trying to spoil others love for the traditions they choose to take pride in. Since when is the want of one greater then the rights of the rest?

No comments: