Friday, March 11, 2005

Auggie of Old

I was posting a message on the board a friend set up for all of us Auggie "castaways," and It got me thinking about how I can let other old users know about that board.

One old friend posted there about 2 weeks ago, but it does not look like he has checked back in. I thought word of mouth would do it...or word of finger as the case may be. But that did not work. If you search Auggie bbs at Google, you get that page. But how to let others know who may not of thought to search. hmm...

I always meet auggie people in the strangest places. For a while I posted on a conservative invite only board. There was an old user from auggie there. She of course went by a different name.

Auggie was pretty unique. It cracks me up when I read things like this...

EBBS


(
thing) by Xamot (9.1 mon) (print)
?

Sat Nov 13 1999 at 14:50:16
Eagle's
Nest BBS
system. It is an Extension of the Mars Pirate BBS code
to enhance functionality and provide network access. Created by Raymod
Rocker
a.k.a. TheRock.
Eagle's Nest BBS is a live bbs at
seabass.st.usm.edu. But EBBS is usually used to refer to the program that it
runs on. The program is also in use by other BBS's the most popular one is
probably Auggie BBS.


Eagles nest was the "angst" of Auggie. When the angsty got too angsty, they moved themselves over to Eagles Nest. There was a time, I seem to remember that eagles nest was not so angsty. More middle of the road. And then Auggie went one way and Eagles nest went the other. Eagles nest still is out there. For the Angsty. That group is still together. There are some people there who the husband or I still would consider friends. Others who we thought were our friends and yet others who we just have never gotten along with. But neither of us go there, although it is still out there.

This search also results this post. Billy was our Sysop for a long time. Until I guess we all grew up. One time Brian/The dear reddragon and Husband btw/ ask Billy to put on the welcome screen "Hope is a bearded blonde nympho with big feet. Mail her for details." They then took turns kicking me out of my account to read what strange men wrote to me in email.

The Internet Yellow Pages Second Edition By Harley Hahn & Rick Stout,
published by Osborne McGraw-Hill. Bill Schwartz, system manager, Auggie BBS
and
BBSLIST, Network Manager, 3M Corporation had this to say about this
book. "The
Internet Yellow Pages is an excellent guide to the Internet for
NET users of any
level. With this book, you will be able to find whatever
information you need,
quickly and easily. A terrific reference to have
sitting beside your desk late
at night. The completeness of this book will
surprise even the most seasoned NET
user.


It just amazes me how often auggie bbs comes up in searches. It is sad to see something that so obviously touched so many people online go away forever.

No comments: