Tuesday, December 14, 2004

The Death Sentence for Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson's verdict came in yesterday afternoon. Death. I wanted to post on this last night but I just felt beat down. I was already sick but hearing this news just disappointed me.

I expect the best from people and I get let down a lot. I thought our society had evolved past that eye for an eye mentality. Yes, What this man did was beyond repulsive. And I understand that the family and those who loved Laci and Conner feel they have now gotten justice for this. But the problem is not with this case, it is with the death penalty sentence as a whole.

The death penalty does not work as a deterrent. And While some criminals are beyond reform, it is never our place as mere humans to decide when a life should be taken. Only God, can make that choice.

I recently watched a debate on Euthanasia on several different political debate boards. I myself did not take part in them. It amazes me that those same people who are for letting a chornically ill person take thier life are against the death sentenses. It just does not make sense to me. They often too feel that abortion is ok.

I disagree and this is the reason I am an indepedent. It is NEVER ok to take a life. Not for a person to kill themself because they have a chornic illness, Not in an abortion to kill a child who has no say if they live or die, and NOT in the case of a murder. It is never ok for we as humans to decide when death should happen. That is God's work. Not our work.

So, you are wondering, do I think he did it? Yes, I do.

I know there are some people who can never fit normally in our society. I accept that. But killing the criminal will not bring back the lives he took. Nothing will bring those people back.

In our society domestic violance is an epidemic. We have spouses killing thier familys. Do all these cases get as much attention as this case? No. What happens to those with less attention? Are they followed in as much detail and make sure everything as as accurate as this case was? We need to do more to stop domestic violance, then killing the criminals who commit these crimes.

No comments: