Tuesday, December 07, 2004

The Wrapping of the Presents

Tonight, I spent 4 hours wrapping presents. Only 1 hour of that was actually for my children. Not even 1/2 of thier presents are wrapped yet. Some of it was wrapping my sons birthday presents. He is getting a new remote control truck, 2 sweaters, a pair of jeans, 2 playstation2 racing games and spiderman 2. We need to buy one more toy but not sure what yet. All that I have is wrapped however.

A big part of it was the wrapping of presents for nieces, newphews, sisters and thier husbands. I have one full sister and 2 half sisters. And my husband has 1 sister. His sister has 3 children all the same age as our children just about. And my full sister has 1 son. 2 complete rolls of paper just for them. We have not gotten a gift yet for Brian's Parents. And I need to wash the pillow cases I cross-stitched for my dad and stepmom. I also want to get them something that says 'southwest' on it. Plus I have pictures to send them for christmas of the kids.

We have most of the little gifts taken care of for all those people in our lives you have to give gifts too. Ornaments for the children in my sunday school class, my fellow teacher, my youngest sunday school teacher. Also, an ornament for our preacher and his wife. There is also a few special people who I want to give small gifts for. I want to do a secret 12 days of christmas santa for a special guest we have at the hotel. He is a long term stay. I need to pick up little gifts for that.

For the most part my children's toys are bought for christmas. They are still in layaway. I have to pick them up next week when I pick up our christmas pictures. The cards have yet to be addressed, but that too will be done by the weekends end. But then there is the additional wrapping of the toys. I have already used 3.5 rolls of wrapping paper. Before the wrapping is over we are looking atleast at 8 rolls. I have not even bought ribbon let alone applied it to the presents that are wrapped already. One more job to do before the 25th.

And yet, Why do I go through so much trouble for one holiday? Because on the 25th we will be having a grand birthday party for Jesus. Yes, I know. Jesus birthday is not dec 25th. But that is the day that we as Christians celebrate it. What greater day can there be then the day that celebrates the birth of our savior??

I sing in my church choir and one of the songs we are singing this year, talks about how we celebrate the birth of Christ. And we see him tiny and small and laying in a manager. But that same infant will grow and perform miracles and eventually bare the nailprints of our salvations. Everytime we sing it, I picture the hands of my children on that first day of life with nailprints. It breaks my heart.

I remember sitting in a showing of "Passion of the Christ." Over and over praying to God, "I do not deserve this Lord. Why sacrifice your son for me a sinner? " And yet, as we remember the birth we must also remember the salvation. They go together.

The banners in our sanctuary read "Expect the Light." Oh what a joy that light is. We give gifts at the holidays to remember the ultimate gift that God gave for us. A savior, a king, a redeemer...in the form of a child. The Son of God.

JOHN 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

JOHN 15:9 As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.

Luke 2:7
and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

Matthew 1:23
"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" --which means, "God with us."

No comments: