Saturday, December 04, 2004

The Holidays

We are just 3 weeks away from the Christmas Holiday. Already in the season of "hope." What does the christmas holiday symbolize in our society today?

Yesterday I drove 2 hours to spend 3 hours shopping in the mall and another hour in target, stopping at a dollar store before spending another 2 hours in the car on the way home. Just in hopes of finding the perfect presents for those people I love. We live in a small town and finding the perfect gift is not always easy locally. If at all possible though I shop locally. Hence, why in all that time, I spent only 80$ of the close to 700$ we will spend this christmas on presents for our children, our sisters and thier familys, and our parents and our grandparents.

We are a Christian family. To us personally, Christmas is so much more. It is the celebration of Christ birth. The question becomes how do we celebrate the season of hope by showing love to our fellow man.

Our church recently helped with a Christmas project for Children. But I saw the neatest thing yesterday in my shopping. An "angel tree" with names of senior citizens on it! What a great idea. There are a lot of christmas organizations out there that do gifts for childrens. And I strongly believe in giving to those organizations. Toys for Tots, Project Christmas, etc. But I also know so many lonenly Senior Citizens. What a wonderful gift to give to one of these people. I do not know who came up with this idea, but it truely touched me.

So many of our senior citizens spend the holidays alone. Familys living so far apart. Or smaller celebrations with thier young familys. What a wonderful way to show God's love by showing it to someone who really needs to know someone cares.

Another great cause this holiday season's date is fast approaching. Monday is the last day to anysoldier.com. This allows you to send cards, gifts, etc... to soldiers presently stationed in the war zones of Iraq and Afghanistan. They have 840 contact soldiers, who then distribute the mailed items to over 40 thousand soldiers. But again, time is running out.

This is the season to think of our fellow man. To give your change to the bell ringer asking for you to care. The season of hope. It is our responsibility, as people on this earth, to reach out and help our fellow man. It is our job to care about each other.

The only way our society works, is if those who have give to those who have not. When I joined my church I promised to give in God's name with my acts, my time, my money, and my thoughts. There are so many great organizations out there. Even bussinesses can give. Encourage those places you work this holiday season to give where they can. It cost them little to do something to help a lot.

It is our job to take care of fellow man. In my lifetime, I have been involved with a lot of wonderful causes. If you know of a cause that deeply affects someone you love, What about the gift of a donation in thier name to thier cause. As an adult who lives with the pain of Rheamatoid Arthritis, I would love this more then another knick knack or more pots and pans. Because this gift directly affects me and the quality of the rest of my life. Susan G. Komen Cancer Foundation is a great place to donate if you have a loved one who has been touched by Breast Cancer. There are so many causes out there that seek thier funding from people who care. Look for organizations on a smaller level. But if this is something you are not familiar with please check it out before giving them your hard earned cash.

The rush of the holidays. This season is extremly busy for me personally as I am directing the children's christmas program at my church, as well as being a member of the adult choir, mother to three children not yet of school age, and giving where I can my time to causes I believe in this holiday season with my time.

Charity does not just have to be about money. Many places need your time as well. People were so happy to volunteer thier time to elect a candidate to office. They were glad to give thier money. But this is the season to remember, we must also help our fellow man. We now need to give of our time and our money, so that others will know of love for each other as mankind. We need to give with our hearts open.

I truely believe that when you give, you get what you give back a thousand fold. It may not always come back in the form it was given, but it is always returned by the love you have in your life.

When I was in college, I posted on a board on auggie about how I didnt have money for my books. One of the women on the board had read my post. She told me, "I have been where you are." a week later I recieved a check for 250$ for my books. Before I cashed it I called her in tears. I told her I could not pay her back. That I just could not accept it. I didn't have it to give back and would not have the money to give back to her. She told me, one day I will have the chance to "pay it back" but giving to someone else. And when I saw somebody who needed, to help them. That was all she ask of me.

How many times in your life has someone gave a gift of love to you? This Holiday season, have faith in mankind by helping your fellow man.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am doing research for e-books on original gift ideas. That is how I ran into your blog The Holidays. Do you have any brilliant suggestion for a Christmas gift for a mom by any chance? I already have several books done and posted at http://www.100mostoriginalgiftideas.com but I am looking to upgrade some of the ideas for Christmas gifts. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am doing research for e-books on original gift ideas. That is how I ran into your blog The Holidays. Do you have any brilliant suggestion for a Christmas gift for a kid by any chance? I already have several books done and posted at http://www.100mostoriginalgiftideas.com but I am looking to upgrade some of the ideas for Christmas gifts. Thanks.